Rio Ngumoha is set to sign a new five-year contract with Liverpool after turning 18 later this month, rewarding his rapid rise into the first team.
Head coach Andoni Iraola sees Ngumoha as an important part of his attacking plans and is keen to use him on both wings.
The 17-year-old is expected to sign a deal running until 2031 after turning 18 on August 29. Liverpool had already agreed the framework for an extended contract when he signed his first professional terms last year.
Ngumoha was initially limited to a three-year deal but will now receive a significant wage increase in recognition of his first-team status.
He made 29 appearances in all competitions last season, including nine starts, and scored Premier League goals against Newcastle United and Fulham.
With Liverpool pursuing Bradley Barcola from Paris Saint-Germain, Ngumoha could see more opportunities on the right wing if the Frenchman becomes the club’s first-choice left winger.
Liverpool are also interested in another winger, with PSG’s Ibrahim Mbaye among their options, but there is no suggestion that his arrival would affect Ngumoha’s pathway into the first team.
“I think being unpredictable off both sides is key,” Rio Ngumoha told LFCTV during pre-season.
“Obviously, everyone knows I can play on the left, but on the right I feel like I’m improving and I’m getting better.
“So, yeah, definitely off the left and the right this season.”
Read more: PSG drop asking price for Bradley Barcola; Liverpool expected to bid this week
Liverpool agree personal terms with PSG forward Ibrahim Mbaye on five-year contract
Milos Kerkez says Liverpool’s squad cannot wait for the season to start

