
Ibrahima Konate’s contract remains unresolved at Liverpool, with head coach Arne Slot confirming the club are “still in talks” with the defender.
Unlike last season, when questions over the futures of Virgil van Dijk, Mohamed Salah and Trent Alexander-Arnold dominated press conferences, Konate’s situation has attracted less attention.
However, with the centre-back entering the final months of his deal alongside vice-captain Andy Robertson it is becoming increasingly significant.
Speaking to Sky Sports’ Vinny O’Connor ahead of Liverpool’s clash with Manchester City, Slot offered little detail beyond confirming negotiations are ongoing, suggesting no agreement is close.
“You try it in press conferences and you try it over here!” he laughed.
“As we always say, contract talks are held in different rooms than these. Whenever there’s news, we share to the world.
“But as long as that’s not the situation, these conversations stay private.”
Uncertainty also surrounds Robertson, who was close to a £5 million move to Tottenham last month.
“These players have done a lot for the club and will do a lot for the club in the upcoming half-year,” Slot continued.
“And who knows longer than that? These are, as I said, talks that are taking place somewhere.
“But my world is mainly Man City on Sunday and the good thing for me is that, as things stand now, Ibou and Robbo are available for that game.”
Slot was questioned on talks with Spurs and Liverpool’s decision to block a deal for the 31-year-old, a move complicated by the club’s inability to end Kostas Tsimikas’ loan at Roma early.
“I think it was clear that we didn’t want to weaken the squad,” he said.
“Even today we have 16 outfield players on the training ground – with probably two coming back a little shorter-term with Joe and Jeremie, although Jeremie is not going to be back in one or two weeks.
“Then it’s clear and obvious, this week again it’s three games in seven days, there are a lot of games coming up.
“So the last thing we could use was letting players go and that’s also what we didn’t do.”
Read more: Mohamed Salah reportedly offered triple Liverpool wages to replace Cristiano Ronaldo in Saudi Arabia
Manchester City forward Antoine Semenyo warns Liverpool ahead of Sunday’s crunch showdown
“Take off the clauses” in Harvey Elliott’s loan deal – Unai Emery tells Liverpool







